Saturday, October 18, 2008

a truth-thumper

I have in the past several years felt alienated from my family (good liberals all) when I try to explain What is Actually Happening. They follow politics, but they have children and grand children to watch and beer to brew and plays to attend. So perhaps they don't have time to read all the blogs and books that I read. (not that I don't have a social life, but I don't have small children around me-which tends to decrease one's attention span)

I feel like when I explain what I see I sound like some nut who hangs out in Harvard Square or some person who has recently taken to some cult-like sect of Christianity. When I try to explain what I have learned about the way things work to my parents there is an odd silence after I speak. I can almost hear the "isn't that nice dear?" in my head.

I have just finished Gore Vidal's Perpetual War for Perpetual Peace and although I agree with much of what it says, I don't think the average American would understand most of it (sadly) and as a result he'd sound like a crank. So I can't even ask my well educated parents to read it and discuss it.

This is why My Home's in Cambridge I'm goin' there.

No comments: